Allamakee co. IAGenWeb Project
this page was
updated 11/09/07

Photos of Lansing
Page 1



On right: Photo postcard Lansing, postmarked 1910

postmarked 1910, contributed by Errin Wilker



Lansing 1872
Lansing, 1872
-contributed by Errin Wilker


Lansing photo, from the north
Lansing photo, from the north
-contributed by Errin Wilker



Photo postcard Lansing, postmarked 1911
-contributed by Errin Wilker


Photo postcard Lansing, postmarked 1912
-contributed by Errin Wilker

Photo postcard Lansing, postmarked 1943
-contributed by Errin Wilker


Andrew Hanson's barn after tornado June 12,1915, Lansing
Andrew Hanson's barn after tornado June 12,1915, Lansing
-contributed by Errin Wilker


Thompson's Corner, Lansing
Thompson's Corner

The only Thompson's Corner most people have ever known is between Lansing and Harpers Ferry, but thanks to this photo postcard from the W.E. Albert estate, you'll see that there was also one in Lansing in the early 1900's.  What's now called Horsfall's Corner or Krieger's Corner, was at one time Thompson's Corner.
source: Allamakee Journal, August 28, 1991
contributed by Errin Wilker


Hufschmidt House, undated
Parade Lines-up In Front Of Hufschmidt House

Though the photo isn't the best, it gives a glimpse at the Hufschmidt House, also known as the Dudley Hotel or the Old Lansing Hotel.  There is no year recorded on the photo, but on the back Captain E.B. Bascom is identified as being on the white horse on the right.  The parade is identified as being for the 4th of July.  Note the parade watchers on the balconies of the hotel building.
source: Allamakee Journal, July 10, 1991
conributed by Errin Wilker



Capoli Button factory, Lansing Iowa, 1907
Capoli Button factory, Lansing, 1907
-photo contributed by Diana Diedrich



Capoli Button factory, Lansing Iowa, undated
Capoli Button factory, Lansing

Buttons Once Made From Clam Shells
The old Capoli Button Factory (above) employed many local people in the early 1900's. Buttons were cut from clam shells purchased from local clammers. They used various sized tubular saws to produce different size buttons and and also finished the buttons at this facility. At one time, 7 or 8 small cutting plants were located around Lansing. A few cut-out shells can still be found in the area, if you know where to look. The old stone Capoli building, which was located in South Town, is no longer in existence. It was last used as a sawmill and fish boxes were made for the local fish market.
source: Allamakee Journal, July 3,1991

-contributed by Errin Wilker




Lansing, 1908
Lansing, 1908
-contributed by Diana Diedrich
Lansing Mississippi riverfront, 1908
Lansing Mississippi riverfront, 1908
-contributed by Diana Diedrich
   
Lansing, 1914
Lansing, 1914
-contributed by Diana Diedrich
Lansing, 1917
Lansing, 1917
-contributed by Diana Diedrich



Corner of Main St. & 2nd St. Lansing, undated
Corner of Main St. & 2nd St. Lansing, undated. The Dudley House is the building on the right.
-contributed by Errin Wilker



Main Street Lansing 1913
Main Street Lansing 1913
-contributed by Gloria Payne


Lower Main St., Lansing in 1917
Lower Main St., Lansing in 1917
-source of photo: Allamakee Journal, July 14, 1976
-contributed by Errin Wilker


The Old Sawmill and Box Factory, Lansing Iowa
The Old Sawmill and Box Factory, Lansing Iowa
-source of photo: "Souvenier Program of the Lansing Home Coming" July 23-25, 1928

-contributed by Diana Diedrich

Lansing photos - page 2
Lansing photos - page 3
Return to 'other history' index