Do you have a Clayton co. school record or photo to contribute? Can you identify any of the unnamed children in some of the photos?
Email the Clayton co. Coordinator
Miscellaneous School Records
Clayton co. Schools, 1882 - Chapter VII, History of Clayton Co.
International Correspondence Schools 1891-1908 - Clayton co. people who purchased courses of study
Educators from Clayton county - misc. 1908-1922, teachers, principals, superintendents, etc.
Iowa State College Alumni giving a Clayton co. address as of 1914 - covers grads 1872-1917
8th Grade Graduation, 1937 - Graduation program, list of rural school graduates & honor students
Clayton County Annual Spelling Contest, ca1937-1944 - lots of schools & names
Town and Township School
Records & Photos
The historical notes are abstracted from the township histories in the 1882 Clayton county history book.
Boardman Township & Elkader schools
Historical notes: The first school-house in the township was erected in Pony Hollow and was built of logs. The school was taught by Miss Melissa Howard. The earliest records regarding school matters was in 1848, when A. D. Griswold was Inspector of Schools for the township. The first school-house in Elkader was built in 1847, on the west side of the river, on Front street. The school was taught by Miss Woodward.
* Pony Hollow schools, District #1 & #2 New! July 2016
* Cain school, District #3
* Ehrhardt school, District #4 - aka Swan Creek school
* French Hollow school, District #5 - aka Smith School.
* Steen / Stence school, District #2, later extra-District #5
* Willmes school, District #6
* Cassidy school, District #7
* Elkader High School Freshman class of 1923-1924
* Elkader High School Tatler 1927
* Elkader High School Tatler 1929
* Elkader High School Class of 1930 Annual "On Elkader" - photo, history, will & graduate notes; roster of 1930 Junior & High students
* Elkader High School Fire, 1936
Buena Vista Township schools
Historical notes: The first school house in the township was built by George Cleaveland for a dwelling, but was purchased by the district for school purposes. Miss Mary Shipton was the first teacher. In 1879 a fine brick school-house was erected.
Cass Township & Strawberry Point schools
Historical notes: In the fall of 1851 the first school was opened in the township, taught by Alex Blake. By 1882 there were eight school houses in the township, and one in Strawberry Point
* Strawberry Point Graduates, 1925
* Heddleson School District #5
Clayton Township schools
Historical notes: In 1881 there were were five school buildings in the township, and 350 children enrolled.
Cox Creek Township schools
Historical notes: The first school in Littleport was taught by Cynthia Abbott. The first school in Mederville opened in 1857, and was taught by John Nugent. By 1881 there were eight school-houses in the township, and 362 children of school age.
Elk Township schools
Historical notes: The first school-house in Elk Township was constructed of logs, in 1850, and was on the southeast quarter of the southeast half of section 24. The first teacher was David M. Zearly; J.B. Bloodsworth was the Treasurer, and he and John Lockridge were two of the first three Directors. Philip Fishel was the third Director. In 1881 there were nine schools in the township, and eight school-houses. One school was taught in a church building.
Farmersburg Township schools
Historical notes: It is believed that the first school-house in Clayton county was built in what is now Farmersburg twp., in the Pioneer district, in section 10. The school served children from many miles around. The first school-house in the village of Farmersburg was of logs and built in 1848 by Alva Hazen. The first school in Windsor was taught by Miss Whitney in 1868. In 1881 there were 8 school-houses in the township.
* Farmersburg school
* Farmersburg Athletic teams
* Equity School District
Garnavillo Township & Garnavillo schools
Historical notes: The first school-house was built about 1844, as a Congregational church: it was situated in the western part of Garnavillo, near the cemetery. Garnavillo was made an independent school district, March 27, 1876. In 1881 there were 7 school-houses in the township.
* Garnavillo Public School, 1924
Giard Township schools
Historical notes: The first school building was a log-cabin on section 29, and taught by Mary J. Neill, who afterward married the Rev. William McCormick. In 1855 a frame school-house was built on section 30. In 1881 there were eight schools, and 441 pupils enrolled.
* Beulah school children picnic, 1899
Grand Meadow Township schools
Historical notes: In 1881 there were seven school-houses in the township and about 225 children of school age.
Highland Township schools
Historical notes: School-houses were built on Section 8 & 15 in 1854. In 1881 there were nine school-houses in the township.
* Kennedy school #6, 1904/1905
Jefferson Township & Guttenberg schools
Historical notes: The first school board was elected in 1858: Eliphalet Price, president; Jonathan Kauffman, vice-pres.; James Schroeder, sect'y; Ebenezer Wood, treas. Directors: John Andregg, M. Esser, F. Hineck, Joseph Wehrcamp, C.P. Goodrich, H.H. Smith, William Overbeck & Conrad Mueller. The school-house had been built some years earlier
* St. Mary's School, Guttenberg, Graduation program 1921
* Guttenberg High School "One Hundred Years of Excellence" 1888-1988:
Brief history, Alumni Committee & Superintendents
GHS Graduates 1888-1919
GHS Graduates 1920-1929
GHS Graduates 1930-1939
GHS class photos
GHS miscellaneous photos
Lodomillo Township schools
Historical notes: The first school-house in the township was built in 1846 on section 36. It was taught by Charlotte Mulliken. The first school-house in Edgewood was built in 1874 and was taught by Miss Lane.
Mallory township schools
Historical notes: The first school-house was built near Osterdock. In 1881 there were eight school-houses in the township.
* Mallory township schools - photos & general info.
* Mound school No. 4
Marion Township schools
Historical notes: The first school was in section 36. In 1881 there were nine school-houses and 390 school-age children.
Mendon Township, McGregor & Marquette (North McGregor) schools
Historical notes: The first school-house was built in McGregor on Ann street, by Alexander McGregor. It was the second school in the county north of the Turkey river.
* Marquette High School graduates 1925-1952
* McGregor High Graduates: 1874-1922 ** 1923-1935
* McGregor 8th grade, 1930
* McGregor HS graduation, 1934
* Swede Ridge No. #5 - photos, news article & souvenir booklet
Millville Township schools
Historical notes: In 1881 there were six school-houses in the township and 234 pupils enrolled.
Monona Township, Luana & Monona schools
Historical notes: The first school was taught in the residence of P.P. Olmsted by Mrs. Wiltsey in 1845. The first school-house was built in the NE part of the village of Monona in 1849. A log school-house was built in Hardin about 1852. In the winter of 1854/55 a school was taught in Luana, Andrew J. Felt teacher.
* Luana School - student photos & misc. school notes
* Monona HS Graduates - misc. class rosters & class photos
* Monona High School - photos of the old school
Read Township schools
Historical notes: The first school-house was built of logs in 1850 and taught by James O'Kief. In 1881 there were 5 school-houses in the township.
* Clayton Center school
Volga Township schools
Historical notes: The first school in the township was taught by Martin Garber in 1853. The first school-house was built in Elkport in 1854. In 1881 there were seven school-houses in the township.
* Elkport School, Volga twp. - Misc. data and photos
* Elkport school grounds, students & teachers
* Lundt country school, Volga twp.
Wagner Township schools
Historical notes: The first school-house was built of logs about 1850, taught by Laura Williamson. Another, built about the same time, was taught by Sara J. Patterson.
* Gooding School, Wagner twp. (rural Farmersburg)
Return to Clayton County Index